Philippians 4:11 "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content." ESV

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Presidents!!

This past fall break I had the unique opportunity to study Liberty and Executive Order in South Dakota. The program was funded by Liberty Fund, which reflects our founder’s conviction that education in a free society requires a dialogue among active minds freely engaged in pondering the ideas that have shaped human civilization in general and the free society in particular. The purpose of the discussions is neither to convey doctrine nor to drive home certain conclusions. Each conference challenges conferees to examine, refine, and extend their own ideas in the company of inquiring colleagues who also are interested in questions of liberty and responsibility. The conversations result in ideas that mold Liberty Fund’s program agenda and publishing philosophy for the future.
This program brought more awareness of primary sources to use in developing lessons both engaging and exciting for my students. This program allowed me access to this content knowledge that I can apply in my classroom.  A lesson I plan to develop includes students' analysis of primary sources such as the Federalist and Anti-Federalist papers. Students could then identify which perspective they agree with and develop a position or argument. Other ideas include a mock debate or Socratic discussion sessions while using the primary sources. These primary documents would strengthen students understanding and development of opinions for political matters of today and the future and hopefully instill in them a desire to be a knowledgeable citizen. I feel strongly that this program was very beneficial to me and my future student’s success.




No comments:

Post a Comment